Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2018

Day 2 of Learning- Computer Science Crash Course

Day two followed a similar structure as day 1. We had a variety of unplugged activities, pseudo code and flowcharts, Scratch projects, and Python projects. Exactly what I was hoping for. Most of what I have learned around CS education has been through books, research projects, tinkering on my own. Now, I I have dedicated a week to learning, crash course style, how what I have discovered fits together.

Python is new to me, Scratch isn't. As we have been learning and tinkering with different challenges, I capture what the program looks like in Scratch and Python.


I use Google photos to place screenshots next two each other. I have about 10 slides already created and look forward to making more. 

Binary
We spent sometime with actives to help us understand binary. Yay! My introduction lesson to binary was building a binary bracelet a few years ago. Are you interested in learning how to do that? Check out Code.org's Binary Bracelets.  To start, we were given small squares with dots on them, one at a time starting with the number one, then two, then four, then eight.... Using the blank side (no dots) and the side with dots, we were given the task of making numbers that our facilitator would call out. Here is a whole list of lessons on binary from CSUnplugged. It also made me think of the Edx Course I started following, Harvard's CS 50 taught by David Malan where I learned more about binary.

Microbit
We had time to make something do something.... It's exciting when you hold an object in your hands and it does something that you programed it to do. In one of the first projects


No comments:

Post a Comment