Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Days 3-5 of the Computer Science Crash Course



During this week, I took notes on paper, in a notebook. Normally, I take notes online via Google Docs or here in Blogger. After taking notes on paper,  I didn't take the time that I *thought* I would to bring them to Blogger. We had a full schedule, full of fun activities, exactly what I was hoping for that helped me make the connections between my thoughts, a program with blocks, to a program written in python!





Here are a few highlights:

The inspirational women in the picture above!
Emily Thormforde - http://oneforeachhand.com  My gracious host, who I hope to visit again!
Sheena Vaidyanathan - http://www.computersforcreativity.com My insightful teacher, who I hope to learn with again!

Driving to the workshop everyday, thank you EM! One day we found our conversation led to computational thinking related to driving to work in the morning. If everyone would have the same end goal of arriving to work safely versus getting to work in the shortest amount of time possible, think of all the accidents that could be avoided.

Computational Thinking. Thinking like a computer scientist. How do I formulate the problem so it can be solved by a computer?
Example of this thinking
Non-Computational Thinker - Solves problems for one particular instance. Arithmetic. 
Computational Thinker -  Why am I solving for on particular instance, I should create something that could solve all problems of this type. Algebra.

Creating games with Microbit

I saw by a high school math teacher. We did a lot of pair programming. It was interesting to compare the way we approached problems and design. We created a game that you can play by clicking here!


Creating our initials using logo and python

This was my first experience where I sat down and really tried to understand what I was doing while creating in python.  I'm very proud of the program I created, so here it is!



This was also the first time I created a program in Make Code using a motor to make a fan spin





No comments:

Post a Comment