Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Best Prep Technology Integration Workshop - Day 4

Day 4

Something exciting.... My perspective was posted this morning on the Cyber Learning site https://circlcenter.org/perspectives/ ... while this doesn't directly relate to Best Prep. If you are reading this post because of Best Prep Technology Integration Workshop, you will find the research on the Cyber Learning site relevant.


This year we celebrate Bonnie Vagasky's hard work at BestPre! We decided to create a Flipgird to share a personal story or memory!


Breakout sessions

Session 1 - CS Plugged

My session on coding with plugged resources.
Check out my resources here.
We went on the journey of programming with blocks using arrows, to blocks using text, to Python, JavaScript and the Microbit!
We also took time to talk about WHY computer science in elementary school, access resources, and find additional PD like Launch CS and Code.org Computer Science Fundamentals.

Session 2 - Insert Learning



Follow Matt Nupen on Twitter

- Personalized my learning with Insert Learning and my love for Hanson!
- InsertLearning works great with anything that you are on and it is only $40 a year
- Do you use Insert Learning? Sign up to be an ambassador for them here!
- Places to get great articles for you students to use: MSN kids, Tween Tribune, Newsela


Student Panel

High school students shared their thoughts on questions that we were able to ask through a back channel. It was advertised on the website as

"Learn from Learners! A Panel Discussion

Student learners are our customer. This panel of students will help us understand our customer and allow us to hear directly from them about what makes great teachers, using technological devices for school, social media, and more. Come ready to ask questions and learn directly from those who sit in our classrooms daily."

Below you will see a few questions that we asked the students and part of their responses.

What app do you wish you could use more?
- Spreadsheets, we hear it is used in the business world but we don't really know how to use it
-LinkedIN, "We think it is used a lot in the business world but are not sure how to use it to our advantage."

What is the best or most helpful use of technology that you have seen?
- Schoology, "When we have assignments, our teachers can contact us in one place and we can see our grades."
- Google Docs, "We share our docs with our teachers and then teachers can make individual comments, and that can be done without a district having to buy a program."
-Quizlet, "It helps me divide up my time with studying and it is extremely interactive."
- Notability, "You can edit your work, fix your work, write on it."
- PicCollage, "You can type on it."

What do you think about cell phones in school?
- When I use my cell phone, I am distracted and can't focus on my teacher. But in study hall, I use it to learn languages and watch videos on things I am interested in.
- I think people should have to put their phones away unless they are in lunch or study hall
-ExamLogin - a way to take tests on your phone, I see friends cheat on tests on their phone, usually not on computers
"In general, I think that phones are very bad in the classroom."
- A positive use is with Kahoot.
- Putting the responsibility on the student, if you use your phone and you have a bad grade, it is your own fault. Some people use it in good ways.
-We need to be taught how to use it responsibility. We are going to have phones for the rest of our lives, we need to learn when it is appreciate to use them.

Do teachers use technology too much or not enough?
- In my school we don't use technology very much, I don't know what they (peers on the panel) are talking about but I do think it is important to have and learn how to use. I do believe that technology can be very helpful and we need to know how to use it appropriately.
-It's so easy to cheat on a test when it is online.
-Schoology for a math class. The teacher made a video and went through the note or review, I think it is a great use of technology.
-For students like me, whose language isn't their first language. I think we shouldn't use it. Spelling is hard for me. The computer can fix it for me and I don't remember how to spell. Then when I have to type in front of the class I can't remember how to spell.
-I think iPads are a great tool to help us get our work done or stay on top of things. Chromebooks are harder to carry around. I love Schoology, I can't get enough of it and I miss it over the summer. It keeps you updated, you know your grades, you know when you are missing something, it's your own planner and helps you stay on top of things.
- Google Drive / Google Docs when teachers share their resources, students can go back into the resources and stress less knowing they can review it later.
-Please do not give tests on the computer. There are so many distractions, it's hard to focus, and it's bad for your eyes. The ACT is pencil and paper.
-It's so much easier to take a test with pen and paper.
-Technology in the classroom should be a balance. I would like to take tests with pen and paper.
-People can't spell and grammar isn't a priority.
- We also need to understand that the rest of the world is using it. While there are some skills that are being lost, we also need to enforce technology skills. Coding, and while they don't need to know it extensively, they do need to know about it. I urge you to use it in the classroom because we need to know how to use it. It is part of our world.
- I don't think that the quality of education depends on the use of technology. Examples of quizlet as note cards, and slide shows as writing out notes on the board.

Closing Presentation & Reception
Cultivating Passion, Laura Dunham, University of St. Thomas
A few take aways....
Entrepreneurship at St.Thomas is defined as "Solving problems that matter to you and creating value for others." Finding that you care about. What you know and others don't. Finding something you want to solve. You take what you are interested in, see it through the eyes of the people who face the problem, and find a way to solve it effectively.

Educators are Entrepreneurs

Nurturing your entrepreneurial spirit.
      Solving problems that matter to you... creating value for others ( classes, training, skill building)
Tips: Spend time thinking about it, ask your self why did I get into this? Claim your mission.

Finding our entrepreneurial joy!
     Recharge. Reconnect back to mission. Know your REAL problem. The one that I care about.
     Write it down, put it on your board, remind yourself of it!

     Savor. Our world is busy and full. Be mindful and relish. IF you want something good to last, tell       someone else about it! "Here is something really interesting that happened to me today..."

     Find other people also solving your problem. Share your successes and failure.

    Give yourself permission to fail and feel cross about it. Fail often.







No comments:

Post a Comment